Modern dentistry puts special emphasis upon the provision of stress free and painless dental treatment procedures to elderly, adults as well as child patients seeking dental health care help from qualified dentists in the dental offices. Various methodologies and techniques have been employed over the years for achieving pain free conditions while performing different dental treatments.
However, these traditional techniques have certain limitations especially when infants and small children are concerned. Dental anxiety is among the major reasons for individuals avoiding dental consultation resulting in rapid progression and deterioration of oral health with the passage of time.
Albuquerque New Mexico 24 hours emergency specialist cosmetic & restorative dentist Dr William C Gardner at NM Family and Cosmetic Dentistry PC uses state of the art and reliable conscious sedation therapy for alleviating pain and discomfort in addition to making the environment calm, comfortable and soothing during treatment provision.
Q. WHAT ARE THE VARIOUS TECHNIQUES FOR PROVIDING PAIN FREE DENTAL TREATMENTS?
A.Traditional methods of eliminating and reducing pain involve,
• Use of painkillers,
• Local anesthesia,
• General anesthesia.
Q. WHAT ARE THE VARIOUS DRAWBACKS/LIMITATIONS OF TRADITIONAL METHODS?
A. Following points will describe various limitations associated with conventional methods,
• Painkillers are effective in reducing minor pain before and after the dental treatments but cannot produce pain free area during surgical procedures,
• Local anesthesia does not produce painless field of operation in case of infection,
• Local anesthesia is associated with pricking of needle and patients with needle phobia avoid it,
• Needle can get injected in blood vessels causing adverse systemic effects,
• Self inflicted injuries, allergy, hematoma or bruise formation, oral ulcers and limited mouth opening can occur after use of local anesthesia,
• General anesthesia is associated with loss of consciousness and majority avoids it for dental treatments.
Q. WHAT IS CONSCIOUS SEDATION? WHICH TYPE IS MOST COMMON IN DENTISTRY?
A. Conscious sedation is basically a type of stress reduction and pain relieving technique for performing various dental treatment procedures in which the patient remains conscious. It is carried out either with the help of intravenous sedative agents or more commonly, with specifically designed equipment which releases minimum required amount of nitrous oxide gas. Nitrous oxide conscious sedation is most commonly employed in dental offices especially for child patients.
Q. WHICH CONDITIONS USUALLY NECESSITATE THE USE OF NITROUS OXIDE SEDATION?
A. Conscious sedation is specifically beneficial in the following conditions,
• Dental anxiety,
• Mildly anxious children,
• Gag reflex management,
• Management of traumatic procedures,
• Medically compromised patients,
• Needle phobic patients,
• History of an unpleasant dental appointment,
• As an alternative method to general anesthesia.
Q. WHAT THE VARIOUS BENEFITS OF NITROUS OXIDE CONSCIOUS SEDATION?
A. Following are the beneficial aspects of conscious sedation,
• Simple and non-invasive procedure,
• Rapid onset of action and recovery,
• Allows easy regulation of depth of anesthesia,
• Produces moderate degree of anesthesia,
• Minimal or no toxic effects on heart,
• Minimal or no abnormal interactions with other drugs used.
If you are needle phobic or suffer from anxiety episodes or your child is unwilling to undergo extensive dental treatments, you must opt for dental treatment provision under nitrous oxide conscious sedation. You can visit your 24 hours emergency Albuquerque New Mexico dentist Dr William C Gardner at NM Family and Cosmetic Dentistry PC who is available throughout day and night and focuses upon best solution for improving your dental and oral health conditions. You can visit any time through 24 hour call or text (505) 221-6436. For scheduling an appointment, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 505-828-2669.