Swollen and enlarged gums can cause problems in chewing, eating, drinking and speaking in your daily life. In addition to functional abnormalities, bleeding and inflamed gums can ruin your smiles. People feel handicapped during their presentations at work and during lectures in universities due to compromised condition of gums. Poor oral hygiene conditions and accumulation of tartar deposits usually account for majority of gum swellings.
However, simple cleaning procedures are sufficient for treating minor plaque and tartar induced puffy gums. Your own 24 hours emergency specialist cosmetic & restorative dentist Dr William C Gardner at NM Family and Cosmetic Dentistry PC focuses upon educating his patients about the causes responsible for enlarged gums and their treatment.
Q. WHY MY GUMS BECOME ENLARGED AND SWOLLEN?
A. Enlarged, bleeding, swollen and puffy gums can develop due to,
- Gingivitis or inflammation of gums,
- Poor oral cleaning habits,
- Excessive use of some drugs such as Phenytoin, ciclosporin etc,
- Excessive tobacco and alcohol consumption habits,
- Mouth breathing, crowded and crooked teeth,
- Certain systemic conditions such as Diabetes Mellitus, heart diseases and viral infections,
- Teenage girls during puberty undergo hormonal changes which can causes gum swellings,
- Pregnant women,
- Inherited conditions,
- Blood disorders such as leukemia.
Q. WHAT ARE THE FEATURES OF GUM SWELLING?
A. It can cause,
- Red, puffy and tender,
- Inability to eat and chew,
- Profuse bleeding on tooth brushing,
- Interference with speaking,
- Poor appearance,
- Compromised smiles,
- Bad breath,
- Bad taste.
Q. HOW CAN I PREVENT GUM SWELLING?
A. Removal of dental plaque before its conversion in hard stony calculus and tartar is necessary. Following measures can ensure prevention of abnormal gum enlargement,
- Proper cleaning and brushing of teeth and gums,
- Use of dental floss to clean areas between two teeth,
- Frequent mouth rinsing with an antibacterial mouth wash,
- Use of water picks and jets for cleaning deep areas in mouth.
Q. WHAT TREATMENT OPTIONS CAN BE SELECTED FOR MANAGEMENT OF GUM SWELLINGS?
A. Management of swollen and enlarged gums depends upon the exact underlying cause of the condition. Removal of the cause institutes the major step. However, following options must be taken under consideration,
- Proper tooth brushing and gum cleaning,
- Mouth rinsing using antiseptic and anti-plaque solutions,
- Professional scaling and polishing procedures,
- Consultation with an expert periodontologist,
- Ultrasonic teeth cleaning procedures,
- Laser gum treatments,
- Surgical gum treatments,
- Use of specific antibiotics where necessary,
- Discontinuation of the use of culprit drugs.
If you have cosmetic defects in your teeth making your smile less pleasant owing to excessive or uneven gum line, you can visit your 24 hours emergency Albuquerque New Mexico dentist Dr William C Gardner at NM Family and Cosmetic Dentistry PC who is available throughout day and night and focuses upon best solution for improving your dental and oral health conditions. You can visit any time through 24 hour call or text (505) 221-6436. For scheduling an appointment, email us at email@example.com or call us at 505-828-2669.